Sunday, December 20, 2009

O Christmas Tree (and Bah-Hum-Bug!)

I didn't have my camera with me, so I took this with my phone. I set up this sad, pathetic little tree last night because my parents visited us today.

I think this year I'm going to buy a new Christmas tree (on sale, after Christmas). In 2010, I think I might try to decorate the house like an adult... instead of like a college kid with a snoopy tree.

Also, I just wrapped all of those presents last night... and went shopping for the first time yesterday. The spirit of gift giving has left me. It's such a hassle... come on, we're all adults, and times are tough. What's the point of fighting the crowds to buy a $50 gift card to Bass Pro when you know you're just going to get a $50 gift certificate from Walmart in return? No one wants presents these days, but it's rude to give cash... so we get each other gift certificates. Wh-wh-why? And, if you do buy gifts, you struggle to find something that someone will like, so you get them something like bath salts, candles, or hand lotion... who really needs more hand lotion???

If you ask me, we should save Christmas gift-giving for children because holidays should be magical for them. For thirty-somethings and older, it's kind of an annoyance. Does this make me a Grinch? (I know the reason for the season, so let's not go there. I'm simply talking about the unneeded, unwanted stresses of gift-giving, people...)

No comments: