Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Visit to The Albatross

For the first time, we went to The Albatross. The chance at smoking a hookah was enticing enough, but the BYOB factor made it almost irresistible.

On my inaugural trip, I didn't bring any beer or alcohol. I just brought an eagerness to tryout a new place. And I brought Jim, of course.

We met up with some of our friends who were already smoking out of a hookah. I think they bought blackberry-flavored tobacco. The hookah also had fruit punch instead of water in the bottom. I thought it was a nice touch.

I was really surprised how clear the air felt inside the lounge. I expected the smoke to be overwhelming, but it was really easy to breathe.

The Albatross has a fair amount of college-like charm. I had the chance to talk with the owner, and he said a hookah lounge in Springfield was well overdue. He said it was fairly typical for a college town to have one or two hookah bars. I once smoked out of a hookah at Riad's, but that was several years ago, and I'm not sure if the restaurant still has hookahs. I really got a good impression from the owner, and I liked his approach to opening an establishment that could be, at times, misunderstood. By that, I mean he told me he wouldn't be selling any questionable herbs, like K2. Though the establishment's been open since the fall, it wasn't until December that The Albatross brought in the hookahs, and it seems like there's been some careful planning in doing so.

On a side note, I was especially impressed with the vintage matchbooks.

I am not a smoker, but I had a lovely evening at The Albatross. Next time I go back, I may even bring a beer or two.

1 comment:

Queen City Roller said...

We had a great time too, Michelle. Chris is a gracious host and proprietor. We brought our own wine and hung there for almost 4 hours and only spent $5. Low volume, easy to talk, relaxing, wonderful. It was like being on a pleasant smokey beach with your best friends. I'm going back.