Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Good Read: Escape by Carolyn Jessop

I've been reading a lot more these days now that I work part-time at a library, and I'm really in love with this book called Escape.

I can't put it down. In fact, I don't want to go to work today because it's going to interrupt my reading time.

It's the true-life story of a woman named Carolyn Jessop who left the FLDS, the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She was born into a polygamist family and forced to marry a man in his 50s when she turned 18. She had eight children in 15 years, and finally when their leader, Warren Jeffs (who was sentenced to 10 years in prison November 2007), started talking about the apocalypse, she escaped.

It's so interesting... she recounts years of abuse and scandal within the FLDS community, including marrying off teen girls to men in their 50s, 60s, and even 90s. Some men had dozens of wives. The former prophet, Rulon Jeffs, had 75.

It is so amazing. Even Jim couldn't stop reading it the other day... and then I had to yank back the book.
Carolyn has been all over the media since 2007, and you can even read an excerpt from her book, thanks to Oprah. Click here. The book is a popular one within the library system, but it's worth the wait if you decide to place it on hold.

No comments: