Thursday, September 02, 2010

What Would You Eat Out of Hunger?

I won't get on my soapbox tonight, but I want to give you something to think about.

Today, I was not on the news because I had a Wednesday's Child shoot. I usually do this once a month and tape four foster kids throughout the Ozarks-- then air their stories throughout the next month. Since we have adoption professionals coming in from St. Louis and Jefferson City, it just makes sense.

When I shoot these stories, it's easy to lose focus on what we're doing. After all, I just get a glimpse of a child... in a certain time and space. I have no idea where the child has been or what the child has experienced.

I was speaking with a foster mom today who reminded me of why Wednesday's Child is so important. She told me, "You look at these kids and forget where they've come from. Every child has a story."

She then told me a brief story about one of her foster kids. He came to her weighing just 18 pounds at age 4. He couldn't speak... he had been left to fend for himself most days. When his case workers found him, he was pulling paint off the wall. He wasn't pulling paint off the wall to be ornery. He was pulling it off so he could have something to eat.

Good thing this woman is adopting him!

The boy can speak more than 30 words now, and he's learning to communicate through an electronic device. He is really making big strides.

And the best? She decided to adopt him after seeing his story on KSPR during our Wednesday's Child segment.

I will update their story when the adoption becomes final. Thanks to all who continue to support Wednesday's Child. I really feel like we're making a strong commitment to Missouri kids, and I am proud to be a part of it. I hope people will take the two or three minutes it takes to watch the kids' stories and realize the critical need out there!

No comments: