Friday, November 27, 2009

RIP Norman Clark: May 18, 1928- November 27, 2009

My Grandpa went peacefully this morning, around 3 a.m. He was 81 years old.

He was supposed to be moved to a nursing home today, but truthfully, no one really wanted to do that.

My mom said that he had been coughing for about 8 hours up until his death. He told the nurses that he was in pain and didn't think he could take it much longer. They told him they were going to give him a breathing treatment. He said, "okay", then he shut his eyes and was gone.

It was a peaceful affair, considering he has spent the last week in the hospital.

Some good notes--my cousin Robert visited him earlier this week. Robert is very special to my grandpa because the two share the same birthday. Robert and Grandpa were also partners-in-crime, and even in the end, Robert snuck in a steak to Grandpa. He had two bites before the nurses caught him. Robert and I were always enablers. This is the kind of stuff Grandpa lived for.

On Thanksgiving, Mom got Grandpa a pecan pie. Apparently, on his last day on earth, he had his battery recharged and was speaking. A lot. Even being a little bit of a spitfire. He asked for pecan pie and ice cream. He ate a whole piece. At one point, he asked if he could watch Matlock, but my Grandma told him that show is on during the mornings...and it was in the evening. He then asked for music. My mom and Grandma said, "Do you want music so that you can't hear us talk anymore?" He said, "Yes."

It's that kind of stuff that we love from Grandpa, even during sad times.

On another weird note, Grandpa died the day after Thanksgiving. His daughter Carol, who is Robert's mother, also died the day after Thanksgiving nine years ago. The dates are obviously different since Thanksgiving falls on different days each year, but it is a renewed reminder of how much we miss Aunt Carol and Uncle Dennis. They both died in an accident, and we always think of them during this time of year. So, now my cousin has a shared birthday and a shared death with my grandfather.

I, on the other hand, had a weird experience last night. I couldn't sleep. I was wide awake until 6:30 this morning, and though I have odd sleep patterns at times, this was highly unusual. I wonder if it was a sign.

Like typical "Michelle Sherwood" style, the photos I nabbed from my mom's house this week -of my grandpa- have already vanished... I wonder if I actually took them from my parent's house or if they're floating around in my house. Thankfully, I had some pictures elsewhere, so I immediately rushed to Walgreen's to make a CD that I will store in our safe deposit box. And, like typical-me, I made a video.

So long, Normie. I miss you so much. I wish I could've shown you more love in recent years, but I know you know that you were always my favorite.


aleah said...

I'm sorry Michelle. My thoughts are with you.

Leigh and Beatrice said...

Michelle- I am so sorry for your loss but I know he is at peace. I love you!