Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I've Stopped Buying Groceries


So... the last two weeks, I've played a game with myself. I've stopped buying groceries.

Why? Because I spend about $200 every time I go to Sam's, and I think--for what? Really? $200?! It seems crazy. I have enough basmati rice to last a year. The same goes for oatmeal.

I've had enough. Time to stop the insanity!

Just two weeks ago, I spent about $200 and was actually surprised. I was amazed at how out-of-touch I was with reality. I thought I had about $100 of groceries in my cart, but nope... it was double that. So, I decided I was going to start using what I had in my pantry.

How's it going? Well, tonight, I took my basmati rice and added butter, broccoli and cheese... next up, chicken sausage with basmati rice, onions, and olive oil. Not bad! I also gathered all of my veggies (potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, and garlic) to make vegetable soup.

Now, we're on a roll.

I make a bunch of food so that I don't have to cook for the rest of the week. I can eat the same two things all week long and so can Jim. I might make a bunch of tuna salad for him during the week, and then have one or two options for him for dinner. I do the same with me... usually, it's a cheese tortilla for lunch, soup or chicken for dinner. Our poor (future) kids... they're going to hate leftovers by the time they grow up.

The only problem with cooking late at night...is EATING late at night!

Anyway, I should add that in this game of ours, we can buy staples. Today after work, Jim rode the scooter to Dillons and bought $16 worth of groceries. Milk, eggs, bread and toilet paper. I think that's the first time Jim's been grocery shopping by himself since we've been married! Of course, I really think he wanted an excuse to ride the scooter...

No comments: