Tuesday, December 11, 2007

First Person Plural: My adoption thoughts from 2000

In 2000, the National Asian American Telecommunications Association and PBS paired up to tell the personal stories of adoptees.

It was centered around a documentary called "First Person Plural". The documentary was about a Korean adoptee, Deann Borshay, and her journey back to her birth country. She came over in the 60s and had thought her birth mother was dead--that was not the case. In the end, she brought her birth family and adoptive family together.



For whatever reason, I remember being wishy-washy about this documentary. I remember feeling like it left a negative impression about adoption. Maybe that was because I had a different experience...or maybe I have a bad memory.


Anyway, the most interesting thing I found was my First Person Plural on PBS. The funny thing is that I wrote it while I was in college...there are some spelling mistakes...and at first, I was a little embarassed to share. But, then I realized that it was how I felt during one time in my life, so I thought I would share for any adoptee...this would've been right after my second trip to Korea. It was clearly an email I had written because I ask questions at the end of mine and no one responded...did PBS even read my FPP?

No comments: