Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Asians Rock! At least for this month...

I've been invited to speak at Missouri State University tomorrow night to talk about why Asians rock (seriously) for Asian American Heritage Month. MSU likes to start celebrating in April, though the official month is May.

There are so many things I want to say about this. But, I really need to be tweaking my speech right now.

Like the video, there are really great things about being Asian American. First of all, I always thought of myself as being American first before my ethnicity. But, I do take great pride in being a Korean-born Asian.

I do wish more people in the Ozarks took pride in their backgrounds, that diversity was placed at a higher importance than we've seen in the workplace, schools, the community. I wish we had more business and community leaders who fought for change, ensured equality, and enlightened others about their differences. It is a struggle everywhere in this country, but since I live in the Ozarks, I'm focused on what positive changes can be made HERE.

It is a marathon, not a sprint. In the meantime, enjoy the YouTube video... and if you'd like, come hear me speak! Other great speakers will be there, too. Thursday night around 7 p.m. at Plaster Student Union, third floor.

2 comments:

Lee Ferber said...

In the Ozarks it doesn't matter where you come from, what is important is how many generations of your family have lived in the same spot. I lived in a ozark town (Lesterville) for 25 years and I was still considered an "outsider." My son graduated from high school there and he is still an outsider. Takes a long time to earn you place at the coffee table.

Michelle said...

I can relate to that, Lee. I grew up in a small town, and I had to transfer schools to a slightly bigger town for high school. I was always an outsider for that, too.